Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Blessed



Today I received a phone call from a lady that attends our church. She told me that God had put it on her heart today to come over and watch my kids so that I could get some quiet devotion time in. Now, I usually get plenty of time to myself. My wonderful husband makes sure that I can spend time out of the house about 3 times a week. Being a stay-at-home mom, I usually use that time to fulfill my social needs with other grownups. When I'm home and the kids are in bed, I usually use the time to clean and veg. Needless to say, I haven't been spending much time reading the Bible or doing much in the way of devotions. Something I'm going to be working on.

Anyway, this fabulous friend showed up and took wonderful care of my 3 young uns while I took off for some needed freedom. At first, I wasn't sure where I was going to go, but I thought about Lawson Gardens. I've never actually been there on my own- but I found the gazebo to be empty, so I sat on the bench and pulled out my Bible. I read four chapters in the book of Acts since our pastor has been focusing on it in his messages lately. I watched the birds hop around and thought about the verses in the Beatitudes: Matthew 6:25 "Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?"

That's such a hard lesson for me to learn sometimes. I have a hard time not worrying about things. Right now I worry about how my almost 3 year old doesn't talk as well as his peers. It's probably silly to worry about that because he can spell and read his name, and a few other words like "pizza" and "shop."

Anyway, I walked around the garden for a bit and hummed a few worship songs. I left feeling very refreshed. On my way to the garden, I turned on the radio, and the first song I heard was "Kyrie Eleison." I took that as a sign to pray for my daughter specifically, so that was cool, too!

I'm so grateful for this wonderful lady who took time out of her day to open up her heart and search for a need to fill. I'm motivated now to pay it forward.

2 comments:

Jeannette said...

That is so cool! Thanks for sharing your blessing. What a great gift to give and receive.

Helena said...

What a blessing! (And the photo is beautiful!)